Sunday 5 April 2020

Keeping in Touch - 05 April 2020

It feels to me as if it’s time to catch up with you all, just to say hello, to share a few thoughts and little bits of news …

How are you? I do hope that you are coping with staying at home, whether you are minimising social contact, in isolation, or shielding. Whatever your situation, and given that we tend to be sociable ladies, I’m sure we all agree that it is the strangest thing to be reliant on technological means to keep in touch with family members and friends. Ordinarily I try to limit the amount time I spend on social media but, at the moment, that has changed. Whether it’s idle chat, exchange of videos or clever witticisms to make me laugh, I’m there. I’m almost tempted to join Facebook … do I hear a few laughs at that??

The past weeks saw the cancellation of County Squad practice sessions scheduled at Meldrum House. Today we should be having a 9 hole flag competition. We had one earlier in March when Hannah (Bycroft) was the winner with Robyn (Fowlie) runner up. The week before we had a chipping challenge which was won by Sammy (Leslie) with Donna (Pocock) in second place. Well done to you all.

Other news about Sammy is that her wedding which should have taken place last Friday fell victim to the Covid-19 pandemic. She and Dave have postponed their big day until October when the celebration will be ultra-special. Sammy was very stoical about the decision telling me that “the wedding is a drop in the ocean compared to what is going on.”

Many of you will know that Sammy works in the NHS at ARI. You may also know that squad member Shannon (McWilliam) is a home carer. Vice captain Olive (Robb) tells me that the GMC have re-activated her doctor’s licence to practice so she is volunteering to help if needed. I know many others of you are working and volunteering in health and care roles and in other key services that are essential at this time of national emergency. On behalf of ALCGA members, I want to say a huge THANK YOU to you all for your selflessness, caring and commitment.

Continuing on a health theme, I am really pleased to report that immediate past captain Ann (Smart) underwent her final chemotherapy session last week. She has done very well throughout her treatment although she had one scary infection incident, a “wee hiccup” she called it! She tells me that she will have a scan in four weeks then a telephone session with her consultant. She says “Fingers crossed it goes well and chemo has done the trick.” We all have our fingers crossed for you, Ann.

Other recent past captains, Marta (Moody), Margaret (Parkinson) and Sheila (McNaught) had made plans for a Past Officials’ lunch at Deeside Golf Club last Friday. As you would expect in our close-knit community, there was great response. Postponed but not forgotten, the get-together will be rescheduled in due course.z

So … how have I been passing my days? Well, I am astonished at how adept I seem to be at frittering hours away. I have enjoyed a lot of time watching wildlife from my garden room window. I have regular daily walks. A few times a week, I am looking after my aged parents both of whom have dementia: my brothers and I decided that, apart from Mum’s carers, I would be the only person visiting their house to provide vital interventions with meals, meds and everyday tasks. I wish I could tell you I’ve been doing my spring cleaning but … mmm not yet!

Of course we are all missing golf and I am aware that many of you have faced the disappointment of cancelled holidays to Turkey and other destinations. Along with the Management Committee, I am continuing to monitor advice about activities through the summer months. As yet, we have made no further decisions about ALCGA events beyond the end of June.

Now … what are your thoughts and news? Please let me know and I will share a selection on the ALCGA website and Facebook. It would be another way of keeping in touch with each other. Please email me at Lorna200LMJ@btinternet.com or message me on 07717 133397.

In the meantime, please take care, stay happy and keep safe.

Lorna

Lorna M Johnson
Captain, ALCGA